Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My two and a half year old


Terrible twos say some

Some others call this age the terrific twos


When I think about my child, I think my child displays a little of both the behaviours.


He is such a darling at times and at times I could tear my hair apart trying to understand what goes on in his head.


The other day, when he saw that I was ill, he held my face in his hands and said, "aai tu lavkar bari ho. Tuza doka chepun deu?". (Mama do get well soon. Should I massage your head?).


And just today, he drove me crazy with his tantrums, caused for reasons known only to him. I initially thought, "it must be the cough and cold." After a while, I wondered whether he was bored as he had not gone to his playschool. I initially tried to get him involved in interesting activities. But then neither his favorite building blocks soothed him, nor did his drawing books. He did not want to listen to stories and did not want anything to eat.


Finally, I just gave up, saying adu, "I cannot help you." I ignored him completely and engaged myself in household chores, while he sat crying in the other room.


A few minutes later, I guess, he realized that he was not going to get any attention from me. Suddenly, his mood changed, he came running to me and said, "aai me help karu?" (Mama should I help you).


I knew he was back to being his terrific self and quickly hugged him and planted many kisses on his face. He gave me a mischeivous smile and said, "aai building blocks kheluya?" (Mama, should we play with the building blocks?)


Being a mother can be very tiring and at the same time very joyful. Along with Adu, even I have adjusted to feeling terrible at one moment and feeling terrific at the very next moment.

No comments: