Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The selfish me!!!

Do I have the right to decide the fate of the life of somebody else, even if that someone else is not a human being but an innocent animal?

This question arose in my mind a few years ago when we got our cats – Domino and Cleo sterilized. It arose once again when Bono my dog came on heat. A third time when it was time to get Chini (Cat) fixed and now that Begam (cat) is facing the same experience, I yet again have to deal with this question.

How would I feel, if someone else decided whether I could get pregnant? The thought of letting someone else take decisions about my life itself makes my blood boil. If I feel this way, why do I become a hypocrite and decide for my pets?

I did convince myself with the logic that this is the right thing to do. I will not be able to take care of the many kittens or the pups that my cats and dogs would deliver. Where is the money, where is the space and most important – where is the time? Nor will the civic authorities approve. They will probably force me to 'fix' my pets.

Nevertheless, at the same time, I know I am being selfish. Now, they will never know what it means to become a mother.



No comments: